Mike Krack had set the table in Montreal before Fernando Alonso even arrived. The Aston Martin team principal had said earlier in the week that, of the entire 2026 Formula 1 grid, the drivers in the worst situation right now were Alonso and Lance Stroll.
On Thursday, the two-time world champion was asked what role the senior driver in the cockpit plays when his own boss has publicly described the operation in those terms. Alonso refused to deflect.
"Well, I think our main, or let's say the mission we have now is to be close to the team and try to improve all together as soon as possible," he said. "And for that we need to be united and we need to, from the cockpit, trying to feed back the best way we can to the engineers and to the designers. Obviously there are a couple of different philosophies coming for the next few months in terms of engine concept and also aerodynamic concept as well, to try to bring performance. And yeah, we need to be precise on the feedback and what we need from behind the wheel."
The most loaded phrase in that answer is not the unity line — it's the technical one. "A couple of different philosophies coming for the next few months in terms of engine concept and also aerodynamic concept as well" is Alonso telling the paddock that Aston Martin is internally evaluating multiple parallel development paths at once, and that his job is to feed each branch with enough cockpit data to choose between them. That is not the language of a team about to bring one decisive update.
The Honda-powered AMR26 has consistently failed to convert off-track investment into on-track lap time. The Silverstone factory was rebuilt for a championship-fight era. The 2026 reset has, so far, exposed every margin where that vision is ahead of the on-track reality. Alonso, as the senior driver, has been handed the messaging job by default.
The Canada-specific outlook was bleaker.
"This weekend unfortunately we don't have any performance upgrades," Alonso said. "So what we can focus now is on the drivability and improve, you know, the way we feel the car and try to optimize what we have at the moment."
That sentence frames the entire weekend as a holding race. Honda has already confirmed that its Canadian power-unit work is aimed at giving Alonso and Stroll more confidence in cornering — drivability, not horsepower. There is no headline lap-time gain coming on Sunday.
What there is, by Alonso's account, is a working triangulation between cockpit, simulator and aerodynamicists, set up to feed the next package after Canada and the one after that. The unity language is not a morale line. It is an admission that any return to competitiveness from Aston Martin in 2026 will run through Alonso's notes and Stroll's race traces, not a single bolt-on aero step.
There is also a longer-arc personal element here. Alonso has lived through this kind of project compression before — at McLaren-Honda, at the Renault rebuild, at the early Aston Martin years before the 2023 podium run. A two-time champion reading a programme that is taking longer than it should is not new ground for him. What is new is that Mike Krack has openly flagged him as the driver carrying the worst situation on the grid, and Alonso has accepted that framing as the starting point.
For Canada, the message from the AMR26 garage is now clear. Don't expect upgrades. Don't expect a leap. Watch what Alonso says about car balance — because that is the only metric Aston Martin can move this weekend.


