Verstappen Reopens Door To F1 Exit After Sour Canada Quali: '60/40 Or I'm Out'
Formula 1

Verstappen Reopens Door To F1 Exit After Sour Canada Quali: '60/40 Or I'm Out'

24 May 2026 2 min readBy F1 Drive (AI-assisted)

Sixth on the Canada grid behind his own customer Racing Bull, Max Verstappen has warned that scrapping F1's agreed 2027 60/40 power unit split would make staying in the sport 'mentally not doable'. He'd just told a Dutch newspaper he was staying.

Key Takeaways

  • 1.The 24 hours between Max Verstappen telling De Telegraaf he was committing to Red Bull for 2027 and Verstappen telling reporters in Montreal that staying in Formula 1 would be "mentally not doable" if the rules changed again is the story of his weekend in Canada.
  • 2."Max has come around, turned around and said this evening post-qualifying that if that's the case, if these changes do not take place, then it will mentally be not doable for him to stay in F1," Parks said.
  • 3.On Friday, his feet had been "flying" off the pedals.

The 24 hours between Max Verstappen telling De Telegraaf he was committing to Red Bull for 2027 and Verstappen telling reporters in Montreal that staying in Formula 1 would be "mentally not doable" if the rules changed again is the story of his weekend in Canada.

The headline result: P6 in Saturday qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix, slower than his own customer Racing Bull teammate-by-marque Isack Hadjar, and split from Charles Leclerc only by Ferrari's matching struggles. Verstappen had complained all weekend about the Red Bull RB22. On Friday, his feet had been "flying" off the pedals. On Saturday, the car was little better.

His public position on 2027, before he climbed into the car this weekend, had finally appeared settled.

"He'd done an interview with the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf over this weekend and he'd made pretty much as forthright as Max has been on this subject so far, compared to everything he's said over the course of this season, that he would be around next year," Racing News365 lead editor Ian Parks said on the channel's post-qualifying analysis. "And we thought, OK, that's it. Finally, now we can potentially lay this story to rest. We can move on."

The story did not move on. By Saturday evening, Verstappen had retangled it.

Between the Miami Grand Prix and Montreal, the sport agreed to shift the 2027 power unit balance towards a 60/40 combustion/electrical split, a meaningful step back from the original 2026 ratio that many drivers, Verstappen first among them, had complained about. He had called the change "very positive". His public posture was that 2027 was now a Red Bull problem to deliver to him, not a reason to leave.

In Montreal, fresh paddock noise has begun to suggest the 60/40 figure is not locked in. Some manufacturers, Racing News365 reported, are quietly pushing back on the change. Verstappen, asked after qualifying, did not soften his reaction.

"Max has come around, turned around and said this evening post-qualifying that if that's the case, if these changes do not take place, then it will mentally be not doable for him to stay in F1," Parks said. "That's pretty much an exact quote from Max on this."

The technical numbers underneath the political ones tell the same story.

Verstappen's top speed on the longest straight in qualifying was 327 km/h. Hadjar, in a Racing Bulls Honda customer entry, ran 330 km/h. Three kilometres an hour. Where Verstappen was four km/h faster than Hadjar — on the exit of turn nine, a representative read on energy harvesting strategy — he was three slower on the straight. It is not a setup question. It is a power unit question. And it is the question 2027 is meant to fix.

If 60/40 holds, Verstappen has told the world he is staying. If it does not, he has told the world he is leaving. Sunday's wet Canadian Grand Prix is unlikely to change either answer. The Geneva-level engine meeting that does will.